[Maia-users] Fedora Package for current Maia?
Derek Atkins
2017-02-05 01:54:00 UTC

Has anyone worked on packaging up the current maia for Fedora? My old
server has a packaged 1.0.2 release; I'd like to upgrade to the current
version as part of a service refresh. I can work on it myself, but if
someone else has already done it I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,

-derek

PS: Is there any chance there will be an "official release" anytime
soon?

PPS: Will maia work with PHP-7?
--
Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
***@ihtfp.com www.ihtfp.com
Ian R. Justman
2017-02-05 07:08:14 UTC
I can only answer the PHP part, and that's that it currently does not
work under PHP 7.x. I had to install a PPA for my Xenial boxes I run
Maia on to get PHP 5.6 which Maia work under.

--Ian.
Post by Derek Atkins
Hi,
Has anyone worked on packaging up the current maia for Fedora? My old
server has a packaged 1.0.2 release; I'd like to upgrade to the current
version as part of a service refresh. I can work on it myself, but if
someone else has already done it I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks,
-derek
PS: Is there any chance there will be an "official release" anytime
soon?
PPS: Will maia work with PHP-7?
--
Ian R. Justman
UNIX hacker. Anime fan. Any questions?
ianj (at) ian-justman.com
Please direct business correspondence to my new address, biz (at)
ian-justman.com. (04/27/2015)
Derek Atkins
2017-02-06 16:47:20 UTC
Post by Ian R. Justman
Post by Derek Atkins
Hi,
Has anyone worked on packaging up the current maia for Fedora? My old
server has a packaged 1.0.2 release; I'd like to upgrade to the current
version as part of a service refresh. I can work on it myself, but if
someone else has already done it I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks,
-derek
PS: Is there any chance there will be an "official release" anytime
soon?
PPS: Will maia work with PHP-7?
I can only answer the PHP part, and that's that it currently does not
work under PHP 7.x. I had to install a PPA for my Xenial boxes I run
Maia on to get PHP 5.6 which Maia work under.
Oh, that's disappointing. How much effort would it be to get it working
on PHP 7? If it's just a tiny bit of effort I'm willing to look at it.
If it's a lot, well....

Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternate solution? I like
Maia's ability for me to "easily" go through my mail and train the
bayesian filters, examine my quarantine, and of course upload to SpamCop
etc when I have spam. I don't think I really use razor/pyzor (but I
don't recall -- I might have set up one of them on my last system).

I feel that ClamAV, RBL, and sender-verify block the vast majority of
spam messages even before they get to maia. I still get about 10 spam
(false negative) messages through a day (out of hundreds of real
emails). And I get about 1-2 false-positives a week (real messages that
show up in the spam folder).

I'm wondering if the other features of maia are worth the hastle if I
have to spend lots of effort to get it to work? Honestly I think the
only features maia provides that I don't get elsewhere is spambayes
training and quarantine analysis.
Post by Ian R. Justman
--Ian.
-derek
--
Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
***@ihtfp.com www.ihtfp.com
Derek Atkins
2017-05-25 14:13:26 UTC

I still want to move my mail server off the current host and onto
something more modern. Since MAIA wont work on PHP-7, I was thinking
that I'd split the services onto two machines, the modern mail server
(which hah PHP-7) and a second machine (which has PHP-5.6) to run the
front end (and nothing else).

To support this concept, I've got two questions:

1) Will Maia, as currently implemented, work on PHP-5.6? I know it
works on 5.5, so I would assume so -- but I'd rather not assume ;)

2) Can I split Maia onto two hosts? I.e., can I run the php web service
on host (a) and the perl mail processor (maiad) on host (b)? Assume
that the database is obviously shared and accessible to both (a) and
(b) (and indeed is running on a third host, (c)!!)

It's been a while since I've looked at the internals so I don't recall
if there are local filesystem ties between the web service front end and
maiad, or if all interactions are via the database and cron jobs?

Is this split doable? Has anyone else done it? Is it a reasonable
interim solution until maia gets ported to PHP-7?

I really like the maia service and I'd rather not lose it.

Thanks,

-derek
--
Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
***@ihtfp.com www.ihtfp.com
Arnaud Launay
2017-05-25 18:57:20 UTC
https://github.com/technion/maia_mailguard
Works fine with php 5.6
Good to know. Then it's just a question of whether I can
upgrade my existing database or if I have to start over.
It needs a few upgrades, unfortunately I don't remember seeing an
upgrade path, so you'll need to compare your schema and the new
one... It's quite painful.
It looks like not, considering
https://github.com/technion/maia_mailguard/issues/60 is still open and the
proposed patch was never submitted or applied.
Hmm, it seems it only concerns configtest.php, et the patch seems
right. It should be applied. Nonetheless, if you have the
possibility, you might test with php7, I doubt there's much work
for it to work.

For now we validated it under php 5.6, so this one is sure.

Arnaud.