[Maia-users] Login for user name@domainname failed...
Steve Camp
2016-08-02 20:13:52 UTC
I am unable to login to maia.

It has been this way for a while, but after a recent virtual server
migration to a different data center, I had assumed my login problems
would have been resolved. Nope. :-(

I found these maia e-mail lists and subscribed to try to research the
issue. Noting the searchable archives,
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.virus.maiamailguard%20Searchable%20Archives,
I tried to search them for the issue, but that web URL simply gives a
"The connection has timed out" error page.

So I appeal to anyone who has seen / experienced but, most especially,
has solved a login failure denoted by the following error message:

Login for user ***@somedomain failed.
( Possible case mixup rejected. Ask your system administrator about
upper/lower case issues. )
[ Try again ]
<http://webmail.camptechnologies.com/maia/login.php?lang=en> , or
contact for assistance.

I have changed passwords on the e-mail account multiple times and have
verified that password works via both webmail access (via hurd) and via
IMAP (thunderbird). The password is presently all lower case
alphabetic. No uppercase, no numbers, no punctuation. Yet the problem
persists.

Any ideas / suggestions on how to troubleshoot / fix?

Thanks.

--
Steve Camp

---
jjs - mainphrame
2016-08-02 20:34:45 UTC
I don't have a specific answer, but I've seen this specific error message
from maia after doing manual database modifications, e.g. deleting an entry
from maia_users via an sql query. I've since learned that users should be
removed via the management interface, or using maiadbtool.pl

The solution might have to involve some extensive backup/restore or maia
database recreation activities.

Jake
Steve Camp
2016-08-02 21:14:20 UTC
Jake,

Thanks for the reply.

Any thoughts regarding any of the following?

1. Simply re-add my "user" to maia_users via an sql command (insert of
some kind?)?
2. Re-add my "user" (name / account, whatever) via maiadbtool.pl?
3. Remove / re-add user:
1. Pare down my mailstore as absolutely much as possible (i.e.
delete as much crap as I can)
2. shutdown e-mail on my virtual server
3. as root, backup my branch of the cyrus mailstore to a safe location
4. as cyrus user via mailadmin web-interface, delete my user
5. as root, verify my user is kaput in the cyrus mailstore
directory tree
6. as cyrus user via mailadmin, re-create my user
7. as root
1. verify user re-created
2. copy (or restore) all e-mails back into cyrus mailstore
3. restart cyrus
4. force cyrus to re-index database for the restored mailstore
5. re-start mail delivery

I am "guessing" #3 will work, but will be a semi-pain in the arse. #1 &
#2 would seem to good to be true, and I would think my ISP sysadmin
would have tried these already.

OTOH, it would seem to me that a system as well thought out as maia
would seem to have some sort of user maintenance / repair facilities,
but maybe not.

--
Steve Camp
maiadbtool.pl <http://maiadbtool.pl>
jjs - mainphrame
2016-08-03 00:24:08 UTC
Hi Steve -

I must confess, you're working in an area where I've had no experience, as
all of my mailguard setups over the years have used only local mysql
authentication and delivery directly to postfix. The authentication error
mentioned at the top of this thread was caused, in my case, by an
inconsistency in the mysql maia db, caused by manual removal of a row from
the maia_users table.

Jake
Steve Camp
2016-08-03 01:06:57 UTC
Hi Jake,

We've made some progress. It appears that DNS for webmail.<domainname>
was a CNAME record pointing to the WRONG server... so
http://webmail.<domainname> was apparently going to the WRONG maia...

This makes a lot of sense.

DNS records have been updates so that CNAME of webmail.<domainname> is
now pointing to the correct domainname for my ISP. I'm just waiting for
DNS changes to propogate to test.

But I can certainly see how wrong maia would lead to whatever maia I was
talking to, basically saying "You're out of your @#$&#$!! mind... I have
NO idea who you are talking about"...

Will update the list if this turns out to the problem.

--
Steve
<http://maiadbtool.pl>?
1. Pare down my mailstore as absolutely much as possible
(i.e. delete as much crap as I can)
2. shutdown e-mail on my virtual server
3. as root, backup my branch of the cyrus mailstore to a safe location
4. as cyrus user via mailadmin web-interface, delete my user
5. as root, verify my user is kaput in the cyrus mailstore
directory tree
6. as cyrus user via mailadmin, re-create my user
7. as root
1. verify user re-created
2. copy (or restore) all e-mails back into cyrus mailstore
3. restart cyrus
4. force cyrus to re-index database for the restored mailstore
5. re-start mail delivery
I am "guessing" #3 will work, but will be a semi-pain in the
arse. #1 & #2 would seem to good to be true, and I would think my
ISP sysadmin would have tried these already.
management interface, or using maiadbtool.pl <http://maiadbtool.pl>
The solution might have to involve some extensive backup/restore
or maia database recreation activities.
Jake
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Steve Camp
jjs - mainphrame

Steve Camp
2016-08-03 02:22:27 UTC
SUCCESS !!!

After updating the DNS CNAME record to point the domain
webmail.<domainname> to the correct host that my ISP had configured for
Maia... AND forcing my browser to reload... I was able to login to
http://webmail.<domainname>/maia !!! Yay!

Some notes: my ISP sysadmin was not sure this would fix the issue... as
he said that maia was getting auth / credential information from my
virtual server. That being said, I can only surmise that the maia I was
contacting through the incorrect DNS CNAME record was either broken or
had not been maintained in a while and was there misconfigured for the
current ISP network / server configuration (or ???).

The moral of this story seems to be: when dealing with web based
services... MAKE SURE you are actually talking to the server you think
you are (or should be) talking to.

One additional data point: I believe my sysadmin had manually run the
command

/maiadbtool.pl --delete-address username@<domainname>
/

on the *correct* maia server. That is to say... there may still have
been something broken, and he purged that account from maia on his maia
server. He said that logging in to maia would force /maiadbtool.pl
--add-address username@<domainname>/ (or something similar) to be run
upon first login.

So if someone runs into this problem down the road... you may want to
purge the username from the maia db via the maiadbtool command... and
then double check to make sure the webpage is indeed going to the
correct server (e.g. double check DNS).

Thanks for everyone's help.

--
Steve Camp
Post by jjs - mainphrame
Hi Steve -
I must confess, you're working in an area where I've had no
experience, as all of my mailguard setups over the years have
used only local mysql authentication and delivery directly to
postfix. The authentication error mentioned at the top of this
thread was caused, in my case, by an inconsistency in the mysql
maia db, caused by manual removal of a row from the maia_users table.
Jake
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Steve Camp
<http://maiadbtool.pl>