[Maia-users] New maia version?
Bob
2016-11-15 00:02:25 UTC
The freeBSD port for maia came up with a new version. Janky, what's new
in it?

Thanks,

Bob
Ian R. Justman
2016-11-15 00:04:36 UTC
Post by Bob
The freeBSD port for maia came up with a new version. Janky, what's new
in it?
Thanks,
Bob
Also, any news on whether there will be any support for 7.x releases of PHP?

Thanks!

--Ian.
--
Ian R. Justman
UNIX hacker. Anime fan. Any questions?
ian-justman.com. (04/27/2015)
Janky Jay, III
2016-11-16 03:51:09 UTC
Hi Ian,
Post by Ian R. Justman
Post by Bob
The freeBSD port for maia came up with a new version. Janky, what's new
in it?
Thanks,
Bob
Also, any news on whether there will be any support for 7.x releases of PHP?
Thanks!
This is something Joshua Small is going to need to answer. I'm unaware
of any major PHP changes (in any "supported" releases, anyway). I'm not
sure if Joshua has had much (any?) help with getting Maia up-to-date for
PHP7 but that's just me. Hopefully, it'll be ready soon. I'd absolutely
contribute if I knew anywhere near enough about PHP to do so.

Regards,
Janky Jay, III
Joshua Small
2016-11-16 04:51:29 UTC

At this point I don't have the resources to provide an accurate timeline on such as project.

We note that none of the hot code paths in maia are in PHP (they are in Perl) and the several people who have raised performance concerns with PHP 5.6 have little to be concerned about, until a future end of support becomes an issue. It's interesting that PHP7 has become a heavily requested thing, and Perl6 has never been mentioned.

There was a significant amount of change involved just in getting it running on 5.6, and by some accounts much more involved in the leap to version 7.0. I'll look forward to progressing at some point.

Janky Jay, III
Ian R. Justman
2016-11-16 04:53:48 UTC
Speaking of PHP 5.6, here's a link with a PPA to get 5.6 (and 5.5) on
Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (not sure whether it'll work on Yakkety Yak):

https://by-example.org/ubuntu-16-04-xenial-downgrade-php-7-to-php-5-6/

--Ian.
Hi,
ian-justman.com. (04/27/2015)
Kim B. Sindalsen
2017-02-22 17:39:29 UTC

I've been using Maia on my private small setup for quite some time now, recently upgraded to php7 and broke things as expected :)
Now I'm in the process of setting up a small php5.6 instance to run the Maia-interface and was wondering if I could do anything to speed up php7-migration...

I'm not much good at doing any real work on the php-codebase, unless told what to look for/edit, though.

But I was thinking - the least I could do was to make a donation - you're accepting those? Link?

Kind Regards,
Kim Sindalsen

Janky Jay, III
2016-11-16 03:44:17 UTC
Hi Bob,
Post by Bob
The freeBSD port for maia came up with a new version. Janky, what's new
in it?
There was a issue with the way "unrar" was being called "additional
options to make it work correctly in FBSD were needed". So, it's really
just a simple sed change to one file to add some arguments to unrar when
Maia calls it. Nothing major. In fact, if you look at the diff between
the ports, it's just a one-liner in the Makefile. So, you shouldn't
expect to see anything major change.

Regards,
Janky Jay, III