[Maia-users] PHP 7.0
Bob
2016-05-13 22:02:05 UTC
Has anyone tried PHP 7.0 with Maia? I'tm wondering whether a move from
5.6 makes sense.

Thanks,

Bob
Ian R. Justman
2016-05-13 22:07:40 UTC
On 05/13/2016 15:02, Bob wrote:
> Has anyone tried PHP 7.0 with Maia? I'tm wondering whether a move from
> 5.6 makes sense.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I have, under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, "Xenial Xerus", and it needs a LOT of
work. I don't code PHP, so I'm not going to try. I would rather the
PHP code not turn into another WordPress, phpMyAdmin, phpBB, or
SquirrelMail.

Until this code gets massaged to work under PHP 7.0, I had to get a PPA
which has PHP 5.5 and 5.6 set up and installed so I could install PHP5.6
and get it working. The good news is that the stuff that's mainly
installed by Pear works just fine straight from the repository. It's
the stuff that directly extends the interpreter and the interpreter
itself that needs to come from a different repository. Information
about how to set up older PHP installations under Xenial Xerus can be
had here:

https://by-example.org/ubuntu-16-04-xenial-downgrade-php-7-to-php-5-6/

--Ian.

--
Ian R. Justman
UNIX hacker. Anime fan. Any questions?
ian-justman.com. (04/27/2015)
Joshua Small
2016-05-14 02:12:57 UTC

For reference, a couple of people have raised the "PHP 7 performance" issue.

The thing is, the performance bottleneck is, very significantly, in the Perl side of things, and moving the management interface to PHP7 won't gain anything in that regard. Perl is pretty much a permanent fixture because Spamassassin is Perl.

I appreciate it has to happen at some point. This will be a major code overhaul however and I don't have the resources to invest at this point in time. I will go on the record and say I won't be dealing with people insisting on absurd notions like "rewrite it in JavaScript, you have one week plz". I've had several of these, and you're wasting your time.

David Morton
2016-05-14 02:45:08 UTC
On 5/13/16 9:12 PM, Joshua Small wrote:
> absurd notions like "rewrite it in JavaScript, you have one week plz".

ROFL. I feel it.

--
David Morton
***@dgrmm.net
Janky Jay, III
2016-06-13 15:53:52 UTC
Hi All,

I've recently received an email/bug report (being the FreeBSD port
maintainer for Maia-Mailguard) regarding the functionality of "unrar"
during attachment scans. Below is the report I received and I'm
curious if this is specific to FreeBSD only (perhaps the version of
unrar FreeBSD ships with?) or if this is effecting other OSes as well.
Can anyone confirm their "unrar" behavior so we can determine if this
needs to be patched only in the FreeBSD port or if this needs to be
fixed upstream? Any help on this would be great!

"Maia does not scan rar attachments. It seems that
it is a version of unrar, which has a different syntax.
MAIA pass anything wrapped in RAR without antivirus check and banned
EXE files.

When I set the file maiad.conf $unrar = '/usr/local/bin/unrar v -c-
then MAIA checked rar properly.

OS: FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p39
Version ports: maia-1.0.4, unrar-5.31,5, clamav-0.99.1"

Regards,
Janky Jay, III